How to connect a photo to a GPS position?

All about DigiTerra Explorer 5 mobile GIS software: questions and answers, tips and tricks. You can share information and knowledge about DigiTerra Explorer 5 with other users, by using this forum.
Balazs Hober
Site Admin

How to connect a photo to a GPS position?

Postby Balazs Hober » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:47 pm

DigiTerra Explorer directly supports the inbuilt camera in the Windows Mobile/CE based mobile devices. So you can easily connect a photo to the surveyed GPS position (to the created point, line or area feature) as an attribute. Eg. Magellan MobileMapper 6 or Trimble Juno SB with DigiTerra Explorer is a good choice to easily manage this task.

Please, follow the next steps:
1. Tap the New Map button on the toolbar and set the map type (projected, geographic) and the coordinate precision of the map layers and the projection. Tap OK.
Image Image
2. Tap the Create new Layer button on the toolbar and create a new vector layer (eg. MAP - DigiTerra or SHP - ESRI Shape). Tap OK.
Image Image
3. Tap the Records button on the Pan frame (or tap the Records button on the toolbar).
4. Tap Menu button and Create a new field (Photo) for the connected image with the next parameters below
Image Image Image
Name: eg. Photo
Type: Document (N)
Default: Zero
Rule: None
Tap OK then close the Record panel with the OK button. Now you have an attribute table to store the path of the connected photo.
5. Tap the GPS survey button on the Pan frame (or tap the GPS survey button on the toolbar).
6. Tap the red Record button to survey your current GPS position.
7. Tap the empty place (Value) on the Photo Field.
Image Image
8. Tap the Start Digital Camera button on the Document panel.
9. Take a photo.
10. Tap OK to close the Record panel.
11. You can easily query/change the attached photo on the Record panel.
Image Image Image Image

Let's see this video how it works exactly!

geoconexion

Re: How to connect a photo to a GPS position?

Postby geoconexion » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:24 pm

Nice tutorial. But I need write the coordinates onto the picture. How Can I made it ????????

peterm

Re: How to connect a photo to a GPS position?

Postby peterm » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:16 am

geoconexion wrote:Nice tutorial. But I need write the coordinates onto the picture. How Can I made it ????????

Actually writing onto a the picture is not possible with DigiTerra Explorer. But the WGS84 coordinates will be stored into the picture's EXIF data.

Return to “DigiTerra Explorer 5”