How to read the backup files?

All about DigiTerra Explorer 5 mobile GIS software: questions and answers, tips and tricks. You can share information and knowledge about DigiTerra Explorer 5 with other users, by using this forum.
Balazs Hober
Site Admin

How to read the backup files?

Postby Balazs Hober » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:35 am

Question
I have a customer who has lost some files on his MMCX so I have asked him to send me the files
If I cannot get them back I might have to ask for your help.
Not sure how to read the backup files?

Answer
DigiTerra Explorer 5 store the backups in three very similar format: .backup1, .backup2, .backup3. The difference is between the files only the amount of the modifications.

Let us see an example
If you have a vector layer, eg. point_layer.map +point_layer.tab. After you edited the mentioned layer (eg. measure a new point object with GPS) the software automatically create the first backup file firstly with "backup1" extension. The second file will be with "backup2" and the third will be with "backup3" extension. At the fourth modification comes next again the first backup file with "backup1" and then the second backup file with "backup2" extension and so on. The cycle works in this manner.

Let us see how to created the backup files during work

How to read backup files? You need to delete the backup1, backup2, backup3 extension from the end of the file with a simple rename function in Total Commander CE or Pocket PC version.

Look at the following flash tutorial

Return to “DigiTerra Explorer 5”